Friday, February 15, 2008

VOIP

In yesterdays class, we talked about VOIP (Voice Over IP) chatting. VOIP is a very handy tool for anyone to use that has an internet connection. To sum it up, VOIP programs are used in place of a telephone to communicate with somebody that could be anywhere that has an internet connection. A few examples used in class were AT&T and Skype. Other very popular programs are http://ventrilo.com/ and http://www.teamspeak.com/ . Unlike the other programs, these two require a hosting server to run through.

Both Ventrilo and Teamspeak are widely known over the internet gaming community. I use Ventrilo because of the minimal computer resources it takes to run and the very simple layout. It's pretty cool to use because I can talk to my friends in Alaska and my friends in Texas without paying a dime. Very conveniently I can just log in and start chatting away with my friends. Ventrilo is very popular among the Counterstrike and the World of Warcraft community. It allows people to chat with others from across the globe in mere seconds! The hardest part is just typing in the host server name... I even use Ventrilo ("Vent") to talk to my brothers when they are at our mom's house hahah. I would suggest trying out one of these programs if you haven't. I know that I was amazed when I first got the program a few years ago... god bless the internet...

No comments: