Sunday, September 13, 2009

Did Facebook need a diet?



I recently discovered Facebook Lite, which was launched in August. I was quite happy that a friend introduced me to the site, because I was beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed with Facebook in general.

I found myself using Facebook less and less when I was introduced to Twitter this summer. I thought it was a bit boring at first, due to the lack of photos and other images, but I began to appreciate the site’s authenticity and simplistic style during the global Tehran demonstrations.

If you think back, this was the intention of the original Facebook. It was marketed as a social networking site for college students and seemed like a breath of fresh air in comparison to MySpace.

MySpace was flooded with intrusive advertisements and stalker like individuals who wanted to be your “friend.” Some how-I’m not sure why or when, Facebook morphed into MySpace II. Even with the updated “Twitter like” feel, Facebook is not the same as it used to be.

The site has become an advertisement circus. Personally I am happy that Facebook went on a diet with the introduction of Facebook Lite. It needs to detoxify completely.

If you’re tired of Facebook, I suggest trying Facebook Lite. One can truly see a difference in the comparison below. Facebook Lite is easier on the eye, has less advertisements and appears to be taking a step in the right direction.
Image from Mashable.com

What do you think?

No comments: