Friday, September 25, 2009

Planned Obsolescence Blues

For those who do not know what Planned Obsolescence is --



--A company makes a product in such a way that within a certain time period, the device becomes useless. The consumer is then left with no choice, but to buy a newer version of the device--

Have you ever heard your parents say, "Ah, they just don't make'em like they used to." And then you probably think to yourself, "C'mon mom, you say that about everything."

In many cases, especially with devices like cell phones and iPods, this is very true. I would say that on average most of my friends get a new cell phone every year. And not just because it was smashed on wall in an apartment hallway in a drunken stupor. Sometimes, the screens stop working, buttons stop being responsive, and battery life (ESPECIALLY) declines drastically. I personally have never had an iPod that has lasted longer than two years. It works wonderfully for about a year and a half. Then things start to go south.

I'm pretty sure the most aggravating thing in the world is when you are listening to your favorite song, and you are really getting into it. You hear that one song that is so good it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. And then right when it is about to hit your favorite part of the song, it happens.....CLICK! OFF! Whoa...Buzzkill.

Another irritating thing that is the battery life on cell phones. The last phone I had worked great for two years. Then one day it just switched off, and would not turn back on. Almost like its life span was on a timer. Conspiracy? Probably not. Irritating? Most Definitely.

Imagine if this would happen when you are using your phone for an alarm clock. It turns off in the middle of the night, and you miss an interview for a job that is willing to pay you six figures a year. Lame right?

Regardless if you believe this or not -- I'm still real bummed that my phone doesn't work anymore, and my Ipod lasts for about three songs before it shuts off. I'm glad apple is making a profit killing off of my misery. Planned obsolescence is the bane of my existence. I mean c'mon, if we can put a man on the moon, and clone a sheep, then we better be able to increase the battery life of an iPod.





No comments: