Friday, September 18, 2009

Like a Facbook, touched for the very first time...

So, I might literally be the very last college-aged person in America not to have a facebook account. Almost every time I meet someone new, the question of, "Do you have a facebook?"
ensues, followed by a puzzle look when I reply, "Um, no." I can no longer fight facebook, and there's no time like the present. My goal for the following week: finally open a facebook account and set up a profile.

In the past few weeks I've actually managed --facebook free -- to regain contact with a few friends I haven't seen in a couple of years. But it seems the only way to remain in contact with them (and others) from this point forth is through this social networking site. I have been peer-pressured into facebooking. Facebook has quickly become the preferred route of communication for people with busy lives and internet access (i.e. everyone). At times it seems near impossible to reach anyone by phone. I find more people respond to texting than a phone call, and ultimately, it would seem, that facebook is now at the top of the chain of interpersonal communication between acquaintances and friends.

I've been so resistant until now because I'm just not crazy about the idea of putting images and information about myself up online for all to see for no other purpose than to socialize, though I do realize one can have a private profile. But having to allow and disallow friend requests seems a little cliquey. It feels as though I'm about to embark on some kind of social experiment. Wish me luck!

No comments: