Friday, November 13, 2009

The League of Extraordinary Fantasy Gentleman

First off, let me just say that I have been a big fan of the television network FX over the past few years. With a recent track record of great shows like Nip/Tuck, Rescue Me, Sons of Anarchy, and it’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, I’m willing to give any new program that they feature a chance. That being said, I had mixed feelings when I started seeing previews for their newest show The League. I quickly gathered that it was a show that featured four guys and their obsession with Fantasy Football. I had a few reactions to this. First I wondered how they could take a premise that seems so thin and stretch it into a half-hour comedy series. I mean seriously, how many jokes can you make that follow the same basic archetype of “these are four typical modern males, who love football, beer, and themselves more than anything else in their lives?” Oh and “their wives can NEVER understand.” Second, it struck me that we’ve reached a point in television where you can make a show that revolves around pretty much anything. I watched the show and though it was actually pretty funny. I also came to one more conclusion. I always thought that caring about celebrities, tabloids, and all the drama that certain parts of the media force down your throat if you let them was a completely pathetic and pointless venture. I found myself comparing it to playing fantasy football and wondering is there anything different with that?

No comments: