Friday, November 20, 2009

State of the Game

A friend of mine recently purchsed the new Call of Duty game, Modern Warfare 2. If you're not familiar with the series, it's pretty much top of the line in simulating the most intense war voence imaginable. I doubt he's stopped playing it since I last saw him. The impressive visual qualities and amazing details that have made their way into this gam really got me thinking. The progress of video games in my lifetime, specifically in recent years, has startled me to say the least. I used to be a pretty avid gamer back when I was in middle school. It's fair to say they were a pretty big part of my life back then. Not long after, I fell out of them completely though, and I haven't really looked back. Until recentl,y when I've gotten a glimpse of just how far they've come, since I've stopped playing. It's remarkable if you think abot it. We've come from Pong in 1972, to games like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 in only 37 years. The graphics and features of games today would of hardly been imaginable just a few decades ago. it really makes me wonder just how far they will go. The market certainly isn't going anywhere, so I don't thinkthe progress is either. What will games be like near the end of my lifetime? I can only imagine.

No comments: